The Digital Entertainment Group (DEG), the leading trade group for entertainment products and platforms, recently released their 2016 third quarter report showing home theater sales and deployments are continuing to rise. Highlights include:
- Consumer spending on home entertainment products rose 3.8 percent to $4.2 billion compared with Q3 of 2015
- Spending is up 2.5% overall in 2016
- Subscription streaming is up 23.9%
- Electronic product sell-through is up 9.8%
- Video-on-demand (VOD) is up 4.8%
It shouldn't surprise anyone that DVD/Blu-ray sales were down 8.7% and physical rentals were down 17.8%. The once mighty rental industry is now a shell of itself at $568 million in anticipated sales.
A summary of the report is available online from Twice.