Anyone who follows our blog and social media knows we're pretty bullish on fiber optics. After all, many 4K streams exceed the bandwidth of copper cabling and plummeting 4K display prices are driving adoption at record rates.
Also, as you know, Cleerline is one of our favorite brands for bulk fiber cable because of their development of polymer coated glass--a technology that makes fiber realistic for most AV professionals.
Like TechLogix, Cleerline is in the thought leadership business and they just published a Q&A Guide entitled Fiber Optics Redefined. It answers common questions such as:
- What are the main types of fiber?
- How do I know which type of fiber is right for my project?
- How many strands of fiber should I run?
- What are the different formats of fiber?
- What type of connectors do I use with fiber?
- What is SSF fiber? Should I use it?
- What type of tools do I require for working with fiber?
The bottom line is fiber has come a long way in recent years and it's finally at a point where it not only rivals high-bandwidth twisted pair (Cat 6A, Cat 7, etc.), but it actually overtakes it in performance, price and ease of use. That's great news for us manufacturers of fiber extenders.
The complete Cleerline Guide is available for download online.