There are still a lot of folks out there questioning the value of technology in the classroom. Don't get me wrong, there's a tremendous amount of value in a good, old fashioned book, but the statistics don't lie....kids learn better when technology is used appropriately.
NUITEQ® published a great infographic that argues for education technology. Highlights include:
- 80% of K12 schools have insufficient internet for their current needs
- 15% of teachers of students from upper income households and 39% of teachers of students from low income households say their school is "behind the curve"
- 16 of 18 students had better recall after creating a PowerPoint presentation
- 95% of students who have access to the internet leverage it for information
As articulated in the graphic, the bottom line is technology:
- Allows students to grow and learn according to their capabilities, without any pressure to compete in the rat race
- Provides flexible learning opportunities in terms of mobility and affordability.
- Studies have shown that online courses have lower cost of maintenance as compared to conventional teaching methods.