Fiber optics is the latest disruptive technology to hit the commercial AV and custom installation space. And as with most disruptors, fiber is prime to help increase your sales and improve your profit margin. How?
Fiber differentiates you from other integrators. Let's face it, the vast majority of quotes and installations are copper-based (think HDMI and twisted pair cables). This leaves you and your competition competing on price.
Promoting fiber not only differentiates your firm, but it also sends several key messages to your potential customer:
- You understand technology trends and product roadmaps
- You invest in education and your team is competent with the latest solutions
- You care about the long-term stability of your installations
- You believe future-proofing is a critical component of any project
Fiber creates a customer upgrade path. No integrator wants a one-and-done client; future productive business is critical for both revenue and referrals. When you integrate fiber, you install a pipe that can handle 10,000x more bandwidth than twisted pair cable -- it's the only way to truly future-proof an installation. That means you can seamlessly provide HDMI 2.1 and 8K devices, as well as whatever standard comes next.
Integrating fiber increases the profitability of your installation. It's true, fiber does cost more than copper-based technology -- about 10 to 20% more. And while that means higher system costs, it also means higher installation profits... significantly more profits... Why?
- Fiber is actually faster and easier to install than shielded twisted pair.... by about 80%. That's a huge savings in labor across an entire project.
- Being an emerging technology, fiber commands a higher markup.... by about 50%.
- Fiber is more durable than twisted pair and less prone to installation damage. In fact, modern fibers boast a 220 lb pull-rating and 3mm bend radius.
But perhaps best of all, fiber will actually win you projects. Consumers realize that fiber delivers faster, more stable performance and any integrator who leverages fiber stands a much better chance to win their support.